I Love Runs Blog
Top 10 Tips for New Runners
- Journals are a great tool for success! Keep a log of your daily training. Make sure to note the following: time, distance, heart rate, terrain, time or day, walk breaks, and how you felt on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Set small goals that you will be able to achieve weekly and monthly. Try to run three times a week and run a race every month.
- There’s safety in numbers. Join a running group! Running with others builds accountability.
- Build mileage gradually. Dramatic increases in mileage often lead to injury. Gradual training leads to long-term improvement.
- Make running part of your daily or weekly routine. Try to get out and run every day, even if it’s only for a few minutes.
- Focus on distance rather than speed – be patient with your pace.
- Invest in a pair of running shoes. Running shoes should always have a bit of wiggle room!
- Remember to take rest days. Your body needs time off to rest and recover.
- Don’t dread taking walk breaks. If you ever need to substitute a walk for a run, walk for double the amount of time you would run. Try to vary terrain by walking uphill.
- Combine cross-training with your runs to build strength. Try swimming or flexibility training!