5 Must-Have Fitness Apps
1. MapMyRun: Free, Available for iPhone and Android
- Record activities, including pace, distance, and location
- Create long-term graphs of workouts
- Share with friends
- Store nutrition data
- Find maps and routes
- Bottom line: This is the all-in-one fitness app. Track your runs and record your progress. Add motivation by sharing with friends!
2. MyFitnessPal Calorie Counter: Free, Available for iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and Windows Phone
- Food and exercise tracker counts calories consumed and burned
- Scan barcodes to log food items
- Measure nutritional value of home cooked meals by inputting recipes
- Track exercises and create goals
- Bottom line: This app allows you to balance eating healthy with exercise to find a fit lifestyle that works for you!
3. Zombies, Run!: $3.99, Available for iPhone and Android
- Run like you are in a video game
- Be chased by zombies and save civilization
- Track your stats online: how many zombies you avoided, what supplies you picked up, and how many people you save
- Bottom line: Being chased by zombies is great running motivation. This app will get you to run farther and faster!
4. Pocket Yoga: $2.99, Available for iPhone and Android
- Cheaper than an actual yoga class
- Choose from individual poses or one of 27 full sessions, which differ in difficulty and length
- Sessions are narrated and designed by yoga professionals
- Bottom line: Learn yoga the easy way! The app comes with illustrations and explanations of each pose. In addition, it includes a dictionary of yoga terms.
5. Charity Miles: Free, Available for iPhone and Android
- Raise money for every mile you run, walk, or bike
- Choose from 20 participating charities
- Earn 10 cents/mile biking or 25 cents/mile running
- Bottom line: Donate without opening your wallet! This app allows you to feel twice as good when you run, knowing that you are helping your body and helping the world.